Welcome to ISEHCWelcome to the website of the newly constituted International Society for Evidence-Based Health Care (ISEHC). The Society was prodded into existence by Kameshwar Prasad who sensed that many EBM enthusiasts around the world felt isolated and wanted more and better communication with others working to apply the principles of EBM at the bedside or in the clinic. The Society exists to foster and promote EBHC globally.
Why a Society for Evidence-Based Health Care?
Those practicing and teaching EBM have felt a need to belong to some wider group for communication (conference, journal, listserv, etc) with other EBMers working in the area, but do not feel adequately served by any of the current organisations. There is also a need for a recognised organisation that can lobby for curricula change, funding, etc. An example is the “Sicily Statement” on a curriculum for EBM (published in BMC).
The mission of the Society for Evidence-Based Health Care is to develop, and encourage research in, the appropriate usage of evidence in health care decision making and to promote and provide professional and public education in the field.
To help achieve this mission, the Society would undertake a number of activities including:
1. Develop and promote teaching of health professionals and the public regarding EBHC, through practice and trainer education and developing educational materials,
2. Hold regular national and international society meetings in evidence-based health care,
3. Provide forums for communication, including a website, regular newsletter, and a society journal
4. Foster and promote research in the use, practice, and processes of evidence based health care.
5. Advocate for training, development, and research in Evidence-Based Health Care nationally and globally.